Sunday, December 5, 2010

St. Jude Memphis Half Marathon and 5 K

This weekend, Rosie and I went with Bob and Ana MacKendrick to Memphis, TN, to participate in the St. Jude Memphis half marathon (Bob M. and Bob C.) and 5 K walk/run (Rosie and Ana). We arrived in Memphis on Friday afternoon. We checked into the hotel and picked up our race packets at the Memphis Convention Center. Bob M. flew into Memphis that afternoon after working all week in Indianapolis; we picked him up at the airport.

Friday evening Rosie and I walked down to the Memphis Peabody for dinner. The evening sky was beautiful.The Peabody lobby was really decorated for Christmas. The edible nutcracker and gingerbread house were really neat. Here's what they contain followed by pictures of each.Dinner at the Peabody was excellent. A great pre-race meal.

Friday morning, Rosie and Ana's race started at 7:15 am; wow, that's early! Here they are getting ready to start and staying warm before the race.The half marathon started at 8 am. Rosie caught a shot of Bob M and me running down 3rd street. Bob M. has the white cap on. This is early in the race and I'm not just trying to breath.The finish of the race was in Autozone Park - the local baseball park. The scoreboard was lit-up for the event.RESULTS. Rosie did her 5 K in 41:30. Ana was right behind her. Rosie placed 11th in her age group out of 67 women. Pretty good for taking an easy stroll approach to the 5K.

Bob M. and I finished 1st and 2nd in our age group, respectively - after the 4 master and grandmaster runners were factored out. I don't know why they put them into another grouping, but that's fine with me. Overall, I finished the 13.1 miles in 1:54:22 or 8:44/mile. Not as good as I did earlier this year in Little Rock (8:35), but at least I finished. In the entire half marathon (across all age groups), I finished 799 out of 6941 (who finished).

This was a well organized race. Everything worked well. Maybe we'll be back next year. By the way - the guy who said on his blog preview of the race that the last three miles of the half marathon were downhill - LIED. It was NOT downhill; at least not by my standards. Not that I'm whining or anything.

No comments: