Friday, December 23, 2011

National Audubon Christmas Bird Count 2011

On Monday, 19-DEC, Rosie and I participated in the Audubon Society's 2011 Christmas Bird Count.  A national count is done each year in December.  Here's our team (except for John Taylor who took the picture):

From right to left:  Carolyn Minson (our team leader and outstanding birder), Rosie, Lillie Wallick, RHC, Angela Taylor (kneeling), Donna Osborne and Vic Prislipsky.

We had a morning break at Bill and Penny Kasdorf's house on Lake Sophia.  Bill had the outdoor fireplace going.  It was a great time to warm-up, have some snacks and count the ducks on the lake.  My priorities were fireplace and snacks.  Surprised?  I thought not!

We had lunch at Cranfords' - a local grocery store that also has a sandwich bar.  It's convenient since their eating area has windows on two sides.  You can eat and continue to look for birds.  Here I am looking for birds during lunch.  Don't I look like a "bird geek"?  Looks can be deceiving.

John Taylor got many good bird pictures during the day.  Here's a picture of a red tail hawk in flight.

We started at 7:30 am and finished at 5:15 pm (it was getting too dark to see birds).   As a team we saw 60 different bird species (an excellent day) and a total of 614 birds.  Thanks to Carolyn and the entire team for a great day!

No comments: