This morning we arrived in Skagway - the gateway to the Klondike gold rush. As we approached the docks, we were surprised by the number of large cruise ships already docked. Our little ship was dwarfed by the cruise ships, and I'm sure our total of about 70 people (including crew) wouldn't even fill a deck on one of the bigger ships. Small is nice! Here we are coming into the harbor and a comparison photo of the Admiralty Dream vs some cruise ships.
Our first adventure into Skagway was a quick bus tour around town. This didn't take long since Skagway is a small place (population 800 during the off season). Here's our bus and tour guide.
Rosie and I walked around town on our own. Here are some photos of the "downtown" Skagway area.
Our next Skagway adventure was to ride the White Pass and Yukon Route narrow gauge railroad from Skagway up to the top of White Pass - where we made a brief excursion into Canada (note: we didn't get off the train). Here I am boarding the train.
Some of our group on the train. We had two cars exclusively for our group.
Here are some pictures taken from the train. The track was built on the side of the mountain.
Yeah - we arrived at the US-Canada border.
A great shot of the harbor down below. The larger cruise ships are visible, but I can't see the Admiralty Dream.
Day 5 is Glacier Bay National Park. It was fantastic!















No comments:
Post a Comment